A CMS is a user-friendly software that allows you to build, manage, and modify websites without having to code it from scratch. In other words, it is a tool that allows users to create a website without having to write all the code or knowing how to code. The acronym CMS stands for Content Management System and it refers to a system solution that allows people without any experience to build websites in an easy way.
Statistics say that more than half of the websites on the internet are built with CMS.
How does it work?
CMS will take the whole coding and HTML process and make it almost as simple as writing a Word document. Technically, it is composed of two main cores:
- Content management application (CMA): The part that allows users to manage or add content to the website.
- Content delivery application (CDA): The part that takes what users put in the CMA, stores it and makes it visible.
All the two parts work equally to maintain the website.
Benefits of using CMS
Minimum or No Coding Skills Needed
Build, manage, and reshape a website without any coding knowledge. A CMS is designed to make things easier for non-developers.
Makes Collaboration Easier
CMS allows multiple users to work at the same time on the landing page. For instance, some users can add marketing content while others work on security protocols.
Some CMS's are excellent for SEO purposes. On the other hand, with extensions, you can easily detect SEO issues and repair them in order to improve your website.
With CMS platforms like WordPress, you can choose from a wide range of predesigned templates to customize your website.
CMS allows users to update websites in a quick and easy way. Users will be able to make major changes like a website redesign to minor changes like changing images on the landing page.
Examples of popular CMS platforms:
- WordPress: Perhaps the most popular one. At least a third of websites online are using WordPress today. Extremely customizable with hundreds of templates and plugins to choose from. WordPress allows users to create a unique experience for their company or brand.
- CMS Hub: Optimized for search engines, with CMS Hub users can build strong and secure websites. Ideal for businesses looking forward to growing up.
- Joomla: Ideal for social and community websites. What makes Joomla different from other CMS platforms is that it offers multilingual support.
- Magento: Even though Magento is highly flexible and secure, it might be pretty difficult to use. Suitable for eCommerce, it allows users to manage several online stores and shipping providers.
- Drupal: It’s an open-source CMS, very flexible. Used by at least 3% of the websites online. Although a web developer it’s required to fully use everything offered by this CMS, Drupal users won’t have to start their website from scratch.
Build your website with a CMS
Easy to use and quick to update, content management systems are suitable for users looking to build a website that can grow over time. However, design, UX/UI, SEO, and functionality will always require technical knowledge. If you want to get the most out of your website, web designers and web developers can help you achieve just that.
S-FX.com Small Business Solutions is a boutique web design and technology consulting agency geared towards start-up businesses, small businesses and non-profit businesses. We specialize in implementing low cost technology solutions to maximize efficiency and reduce business operating costs.
Discover how to elevate your business getting the right tools and services!